Goa Church is worse than the Portuguese: Karmali
GOANEWS DESK, PANAJI | 26 December 2015 21:46 IST
Veteran Konkani writer and freedom fighter Nagesh Karmali has alleged that Church in Goa is doing what the Portuguese could not do to finish Indian culture.
He was speaking after releasing ‘Osmitayecho Kasay’, a book written by this year’s Sahitya Academy award winner Adv Uday Bhembre, on several aspects of Goan identity.
Karmali lashed out at the Church for promoting English medium at primary level, claiming it to be a design to suppress the Indian culture and ethos.
“The suppression by Church today is much larger than the way Portuguese suppressed it in the 16th and 17th century”, he said.
He also did not spare the protagonists demanding official status to Marathi language as well as the Roman script for Konkani.
“The protagonists of Roman script are not bothered about Konkani but actually are promoting English in the state”, he alleged.
He also blamed the state government for its shameful act of spending Rs 30 lakh annually for the promotion of Roman Konkani, which is the most unscientific script of Konkani.
He also asked protagonists of Marathi why they are not voicing out their protest against promotion of English as the medium of instruction.
“Making two languages – Konkani and Marathi – the official languages of the state will create more problems, rather than resolving it”, he said.
RISE UP 75%: BHEMBRE
Bhembre felt time has come for the 75 per cent to rise up against the domination of 25 per cent Goans, without elaborating whom he was referring to.
“The Goa government is acting under the pressure of 25%, for the simple reason that 75% are silent. Time has come to show the strength of the majority”, he said.
The whole Goan society is ailing with chronic disease and surgery is the only solution to it, not simple treatment, said Bhembre.
“My articles in the book is an attempt to awaken the Goan society, which has not marched forward the way it had to, after Goa’s liberation”, he said.
Babali Naik, whom Bhembre dedicated his book to for his contribution to the official language agitation, said Konkani movement needs to have a political direction.
“We need to have maximum number of Konkani supporters in the Goa Assembly”, he said.
Former minister Nirmala Sawant and Sanjana Publication publisher Dinesh Manerkar also spoke.
Dr Bhushan Bhave compered the function held at Ravindra Bhavan in Margao today evening.
Drop a comment
Not just Goa Church but Roman Catholic Church has been the source of evil and pain world over. As per bible all Hindus and evil pagan heathens who need to be shown the light and their practices should be destroyed and their wealth take over. This has been the agenda for Church since existence.
They have done it in Kerala, Nagaland an Mizoram and they will do it in Goa too.
Church has created a monopoly on English education in Goa at the expense of Hindu taxpayers. This is theft. Unless Hindus united and demand that parents get to decide the language of medium for their kids there is no good future for Hindus in Goa.
- Aryan, Panaji | 29 th December 2015 03:28
Karmali is a chameleon, he will change colors as per the situation. It was OK for him to take support of Church during 80s Konkani violence, then be with Marathi supporters during BMMS, etc. And now he is talking something else. How old is he, probably he has dementia or some memory problems. It is time for you to have some peace my friend.
- Arun Naik, Panaji | 26 th December 2015 23:47
Karmali's agenda of Konkani as state language wouldn't have been through without support of Church and Churchill!
Further, Karmali should not forget that the Bharatiya Bhasha Suraksha Manch received active support from Marathi supporters.
Why is Naguesh Karmali twisting facts?
- K. B. Dessai, Goa | 26 th December 2015 23:03
- The ‘wealthy’ Goa Assembly of less 'educated' and increasing ‘criminals’
- Parrikar wins trust vote with 22 while Vishwajeet walks out
- Parrikar’s 9-member team sworn in amidst protest and boycott
- BJP stakes claim with 8 non-Cong, Parrikar to resign to become CM
- Will it be Parrikar-led BJP Govt or Cong-led (by whom)?
- Goans give ‘power’ to 10 MLAs to form Cong or BJP Govt
- Will the silent voter decide the fate of candidates?
- Goa has ‘unofficial’ ban on beef: Church
- Did Rahul agree to alliance as Rane threatened not to contest?
- Goa Assembly poll on 4 Feb, with Punjab, Counting on 11 March
- Two ‘Konkanis’ bag Sahitya Academy awards
- "Christmas in Goa is not complete without Hindus, and Chovoth without Christians"
- Goa Dakshinayan: Debate among Galaxy of intellectuals
- Pak writers restrained from attending Goa Lit Fest
- Borkar, Anwesha bag national SA Awards for Children and Youth Lit
- 'Bomboikar Goan' writer Jerry Pinto wins $150,000 Windham-Campbell Prize
- Poet Ashok Borkar passes away
- Beware! Fascism is entering through backdoor: Mehta
- Jayamala Danait bags Sahitya Academy award for Translation
- Yugank bags TMA Pai Award for a Konkani book on World Cinema